January 3rd, 2011

New to this!

I have decided to create a dress diary blog - both so I can remember what all I do with each of my projects, and to share and connect with other costumers. Hopefully, I will remember to actually post as I go. And hopefully, I will figure out how to use a livejournal in the first place. Wish me luck!

To begin with, I'd like to share my current state of Project ADD. I've never had it this bad before. I started my pre-Raphaelite outfit for Costume College last night - I cut out all the chemise pieces except the sleeves, and I put it together, and did the gathering I needed for the empire waist, and a sleeve mockup. But now I have to wait on trim and buttons from Pillaged Village to get here so I can do more.

And the whole while I've been thinking about that, I've been looking up info on the Chemise a la Reine, and I ordered 8 yds of cotton lawn on fabrics.com so I can start on it, and I'm trying to figure out how to make it from a pdf pattern posted online of Norah Waugh's book.

But I still haven't done all the hand-binding on my stays yet, either, which is lurking in the back of my mind.

And I'm doing all the research on my 17th century gown, which I've had the fabrics for for a couple years now, and now finally have the page on that shape from the Period Patterns for Stage and Screen book. But I also can't decide if I want to do that project next, or the Chemise a la Reine (which is probably going to be significantly easier)

And I keep thinking about a Polonaise, even though that won't be happening until all the other projects are done.

I feel like I'm going crazy! I just want everything I've ordered from online (dress form, fitting system, cotton lawn, 18th century shoes, buttons, and trim) to get here so I can work on everything.

Anyone else experience sewing project ADD? I'm blaming my first visit to Costume College (which, I know, isn't for almost 7 months) for mine... 

Pre-Raphaelite sketches



I figured I would share a few pictures, while I'm at it. These are all sketches for my Pre-Raphaelite outfit, which will consist of a chemise dress with fitted sleeves, an over dress with hanging sleeves, and a canvas-lined bodice. I have already dyed all of the linen, and the body pieces of the chemise are put together.



Figuring out how to do this back has been really difficult for some reason. I can't wait till my dress form arrives (hopefully Tues) so I can just drape it.




Over the next few days, I'll post pics of all of the projects I completed in 2010.P