February 10th, 2020

Best Laid Plans...

The velvet dress is not done. The bodice is complete, but the overskirt still needs bustle tapes and the sash. And half the sash still needs to be hemmed on the sides, which I honestly think I might leave for backstage sewing on Friday night. Part of that is because I ran out of velvet ribbon on Friday, and the new spool came Sat night, which was after my sewing time. But the other part is just that I'm super slow at hand-sewing. It does have all the velvet ribbon on it now, though, and both hems are pressed and pinned in place.  

While waiting for the ribbon to arrive, though, I did start the chemisette. I found some lawn or batiste in my stash, gathered up the front piece, cut a neckline, and cut the back pieces and the neck ruffle. The backs are attached to the front, so I plan to try it on today and mark where the side hems should be, and where the bottom should end. I think I'm going to do 1-2 buttons and loops at the back towards the top, plus the drawstring around the bottom. It's a back-closing chemisette, though, so it seems kind of weird. 

The funny thing is, in last week's youtube video, I mention never winging it for a project, and then I totally winged it on the chemisette. Here's a link to the youtube video.

Anyway, other than doing whatever machine-sewing I can on the chemisette today, I'm probably going to switch projects and start on the Tissot bustle, and leave the remaining hand-sewing on this project until the weekend.