March 3rd, 2020

(no subject)

I didn't get much sewing done yesterday. I feel like everything is just totally fighting me with this dress.
  • I cut out the bodice and skirt, then realized I would probably need way more fabric than the 12 yards I purchased. The fabric color was discontinued, but luckily I found more.
  • I really liked the idea of velvet ribbon trim, but only had enough left for the neckline. No stores near me sell blue velvet ribbon, so I went to Amazon. The only color they had in stock at first wound up being too aqua (and narrower than I wanted). Luckily, a few days later, a different color came back in stock in two widths, so I bought it, even though it's a little brighter than I wanted. 
  • Over the weekend, I was flatlining my overskirt, and wound up running out of cotton organdy, so I had to totally piece the flatlining, which took way longer than it otherwise would have. 
  • Then yesterday, I was putting the trim on the sleeves - it looked great while I was sewing it on, but when I stepped away from the bodice, it didn't look right, so I had to unpick two lines of sewing and redo the lace (I still have to redo the 2nd sleeve).
  • Then I started putting the gathered net around the neckline, but halfway through sewing it on, I realized I had gathered it too much, so I had to unpick that. 
So yeah, this dress is really frustrating me! :(

My goal today is to hem the skirt, redo the sleeve trim on the one sleeve, put hooks and bars on the skirt and overskirt waistbands, and finish the couple of closures on the bodice. Then the bodice will be done and the skirts will be wearable, and all I will have left is tons of pleating for the skirts.